Thursday, June 28, 2012

Typewriter Pen Pals


Since I have met Colonel, he has always been a story teller. Not just any old story, but ones that are captivating and usually involve a large event in history... WWII, VE Day, Pearl Harbor, Tokyo Bombings, Penn State, Valley Forge, and so many more. These are just some of the vague topics that have come up in recent letters.

Colonel and Sara started going down to Bonita Springs, Florida when I was in High School to get away from the brutal PA winters. They would usually take a train down, and occasionally fly. They  typically would travel down in December or January, rent a place in a retired community and then would return to their West Chester condo around March or April.

During this time that they spend in FL, I became good pen pals with Colonel. When they returned, we figured – why not?! Even though I only live 15 minutes away, we both communicate more effectively via snail mail. So the pen-paling continued.

These postings will consist of excerpts from Colonel’s past letters – word for word including punctuation and dictated conversations that I have had. Enjoy the history lessons, fond memories of growing up, and recollections of times past - courtesy of Colonel & Sara Busch!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post. Pen Palling will always be a pioneer in terms of long distance socialization.

    ReplyDelete