Thursday, June 28, 2012

2/200



A letter from June 19, 2012

[ In the past, Colonel has spoken to me about the 2 (of 200) men that he lost in WWII. He feels responsible for their loss and the grief of the families and you can tell from the change in his facial expressions that it still hurts him. They were under his leadership and to this day, he prays for them and their families every single day. ]

Had a phone call last Friday from Dennis Cupp who said he was passing through the area on Saturday on way from his home in Bridgewater, VA to New York – would we be home – he would stop. I quickly agreed that we would be GLAD to see him and would take him to lunch at West Chester Golf and Country Club.

Dennis Cupp is the son of Orbille Cupp, a soldier in my Anti Tank Company, who lost his life in February when we were attacked through the Siegfried line and crossed the Sauer River into Germany – 1945. Orville left a wife Glenna and four children – Ivan, Wayne, Dennis and Regina. I have told you about them. We visited them frequently on our way to Florida. Glenna had passed away in 2009. We no longer drove to FL but we kept in touch and I was glad to see Dennis again. I knew Orville, knew hmi well, and was less than one hundred free from him when that German mortar shell came in over the trees and took his life. We [Dennis and I] went to lunch, talked at length about his Mother and Father, sort of a “reunion”.

No comments:

Post a Comment