Colonel: Litz and Wanamaker’s.
These and one more were all the major stores at the time we were growing up.
And my mother would take my sister and me into Philadelphia from Valley Forge
and we would see Santa Clause and in the meantime, she was somewhere shopping
in the store, having presents delivered to the house by mail.
Michelle: How old were you?
Colonel: I don’t remember.
I might have been 10, my sister might have been 6, something like that.
Michelle: Did you ever go to the parade?
Colonel: Thanksgiving Day
parade? Just once. It’s a great day! At the time it was sponsored by one of the
Martin’s stores, but I’m not sure which one. It could have been Wanamaker’s –
they were the biggest of the stores. January the 1st – New Years
Day, the Mummer’s Day Parade. It was great! All the bands, and everything, the
fancy parades. They put a tremendous amount of effort into that parade. I think
they’ve changed it somewhat, I don’t know. I think the fancy divisions are now
held inside in the convention center or something of that nature, because of
the weather. They put a lot of effort into preparing these fancy costumes. They
use the convention center I think!
No comments:
Post a Comment