Tuesday, March 4, 2014

King Ranch

I was going to suggest to see the King Ranch. But i think it has undergone so many changes, it may not be in its original state. The King Ranch came out of Bob Kleberg in texas. And he bought out Buckendough Valley Farms which were owned by the Dupont family and he started shipping cattle from Texas to up here to be grass fed before going to the Boston Market. It was 10-15-12-15 thousand acres. So they would come up on box cars, go into the grass, and they were hungry and they would put on good weight. And they would be shipped to Baltimore for purchase. It worked. It was successful. But in due time, I guess Kleberg just became disillusioned with all the work involved in it and so on. Some of the land was sold off in 5-acre building lots. So I don't know what it is now. 

But the Santa Gertrudis cattle was a item within animal in husbandry that attracted many, many people. Santa Gertrudis was St. Gertrude for the mission in Texas where the cattle are bred. Its a different animal. Its a big animal. It has much more weight to it then the traditional preferred or some of the cattle that we have around here. 

But it used to be fascinating to see the cattle come in, and be unloaded and they were ravenous when they got a hold of some of this good, green grass!

I don't know what's happened down there lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment