After I got back [from the war], I was
approached by the directors of the Hoxie Harrison Smith Foundation. They wanted
me to become a director of the foundation. I said, ‘Nut oh! Not way! I’m not
going to get involved in that kind of thing!’ And then I realized the
foundation has money and they distribute money. I’m a director of the
AMERIKIDS. Maybe I should reconsider this. I called them up and said ‘I’ve
thought it over. If that position is still open, I’ll take it!’ ‘Yeah, okay’.
So I went in and I got grants for the AMERIKIDS, and for other people as well,
but my principal role during those years was to get money for the AMERIKIDS.
Its all turned around now, but at that time, it was a move I could make.
The first person I met on
the Board of Directors was Bob Strayer. Bob Strayer, Colonel, 101st
Airborne Infantry. 101st Airborne. Dropped behind enemy lines on
D-Day. And he dropped enemy lines in Holland. We went across Europe together,
parallel. We were not in the same unit, but we went across together. And as we
compared notes, we were at the same place at the same time as we went across.
We got out in the middle of Germany, he went South to Berchtesgaden.
And I went west and joined up with the
Russians. Uh, during the time that he and I were on the Board of Directors of
the Hoxie Harrison Smith Foundation, we could pretty much control the way
things went. We were two senior officers, we were ones with more military
experience then anybody else. There were several, and they were old and
should’ve retired long ago, heh heh. So we were able to get money for the
AMERIKIDS with regularity.
No comments:
Post a Comment