I may have told you earlier that in the year 2000 I had a
pacemaker installed in my heart. It was done at Lankenau Hospital because this is
was the first “three wire pacemaker” to be installed in the Philadelphia area.
As I was wheeled into the operating room I noticed a gallery of twenty “white
coats” forming. An overhead camera, three large screens, etc. In addition to
the surgeons the representative of the manufacturer was there, etc. The operation was highly successful. When it
was over I asked the surgeon how long the battery would last. After some
hesitation he said, “usually four years”. Michelle – that was ten years ago!
All are thrilled with the success.
But the time has come. The battery is within months of
failure. So, after a lengthy discussion with the surgeon it has been decided
that the battery will be replaced on 10 or 11 of November in West Chester which
is now equipped to do it. Replacing the battery is no big deal BUT One of the
wires implanted in the heart is showing weakness. There is risk involved in
replacing that wire (and they do not know which one it is). I finally got
around to the critical question – suppose the wire fails, does that establish a
life threatening situation? His answer was a firm “No”. He explained how I still
have two good wires, etc. He explained where the wires are, their functions,
etc. So, all is in place. Battery replacement is routine but he was not anxious
to attempt going into the heart to replace that wire.
No comments:
Post a Comment