Wednesday, September 26, 2012

100-Year History. 100 YEAR HISTORY.

Thank you for the photos from [when you attended] the Cleveland Air Show. I had been to Air Shows at the he Willow Grove Naval Air Station when it was open but the ones there were one day affairs - not three day complete shows like Cleveland. And the Blue Angels and the Golden Knights performed every day - the Knights twice a day.

As I looked at the photos (and thank you again) my mind drifted back to (I think it was 1915) when Orville and Wilbur Wright (who operated a bicycle repair shop) invented a plane which flew a flight of (I think) approx 100 feet.

And then in 1928 Charles Lindbergh flew a single engine monoplane non-stop from new York to Paris. He an the plane came back on a ship but he then flew non-stop from N Y to Mexico City to gain some kind of a prize. His plane (the Spirit of Saint Louis) is suspended from the ceiling in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC.

And the Alan Sheppard flew sub-orbital and landed in a capsule and landed in the Atlantic Ocean.

And then John Glenn orbited the earth and splashed down in the Atlantic.

And then Neil Armstrong (as it 1969?) set foot on the moon.

And NOW there is a robot exploring the surface of the planet MARS!!

ALL OF THIS IN LESS THAN ONE HUNDRED YEARS!!

ONE HUNDRED YEARS!!

What I have seen is phenomenal. And Michelle think what you will have seen when you reach my age!! I AM HAPPY FOR YOU!!

And when I look back on the L-4s, the C-47s, the C-54s, the P-49s, the P-51s, the B-17s, and the B-29s of WWII they were "primitive" but at least you have had the opportunity to see some of them. Of the thousands of the B-29s which were built I understand that there is only one left that can fly. In Europe I used to see them fly over us in waves on their way to bomb Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment