At the
time, I was here with the Soil Conservation Service before I went to the
Midwest. I did the PI on Marsh Creek. Preliminary Investigation. In other words,
there had been flooding downstream from Marsh Creek. They filed an application
with the federal government under the provisions of public law 566 for
assistance in building a flood control dam up there.
And so, I was the senior
officer here, so I had the responsibility of carrying out the PI – the
Preliminary Investigation – which means you made an assessment of the damages
downtown, 50 years torn, after it reaches a given height, because the water
hasn’t been controlled.
And then you made a preliminary assessment of the cost
of building a dam and how far, how much property you would have to condemn, and
all that, it’s a preliminary thing. I was scheduled to go to Indiana, but they
wouldn’t let me go until I completed this PI. I got it all done, it was favorable.
It had a favorable cost benefit ratio. And so at that point, I left and went to
Indiana and they went into the formal design work, construction and everything.
Of course I’ve been back to see Marsh Creek, but it was basically the same
thing we anticipated it would be when we made the PI. It was, frankly it was, I
don’t want to say it was easy, but the benefits.
No comments:
Post a Comment