On a recent visit with Colonel, I heard a new story about the origin of one gun that he kept after WWII. This is not word-for-word record as the other posts on the blog, but is a very close and accurate replica of the story he shared with me.
It was towards the end of the war. I had to stay in close contact with both the left and ride side units. But they were different divisions and so on. They were moving forward, moving forward, moving forward and his right side asked, “Do you still have communication with the left side?” I responded that I had lost all communication. For fear of being cut off, I was ordered to hold still until communication was regained. So with two sergeants in the back and a lieutenant driving, I got into the passenger side of a Jeep. They went out to do some scouting and to regain communication with the left side. They moved forward for quite some time, and I was getting hesitant, uneasy to move anymore because we were pretty far out there. It was all woods, brush, etc. So my report told me to return.
It was towards the end of the war. I had to stay in close contact with both the left and ride side units. But they were different divisions and so on. They were moving forward, moving forward, moving forward and his right side asked, “Do you still have communication with the left side?” I responded that I had lost all communication. For fear of being cut off, I was ordered to hold still until communication was regained. So with two sergeants in the back and a lieutenant driving, I got into the passenger side of a Jeep. They went out to do some scouting and to regain communication with the left side. They moved forward for quite some time, and I was getting hesitant, uneasy to move anymore because we were pretty far out there. It was all woods, brush, etc. So my report told me to return.
We turn the car around and
find four German soldiers. One Officer and three soldiers. They already had
their helmets and vests off with their hands in the air as surrender. As even
further surrender to show peacefulness, the officer threw his Luger down on the
ground in front of him. We approached and I picked up that Luger and put it
into my side pocket. That is the Luger I still have today.
We all got into the Jeep and
drove back. Can you imagine 8 of us in a Jeep! And also imagine – we had passed
them on our way out! And only did we find them on our way back. They probably
thought there were more of us coming. I don't think that Luger has ever been fired. I never did, and I don't think the Germans ever did either.
Most things we found from
niffing, I threw into the bag. But the two things I kept were this Luger and
the other Lignose gun out of a curiosity item. I was curious to know how it
worked, so it was a curiosity item.
No comments:
Post a Comment