Tell me about your baseball background.
Colonel: Well, in the early days, it was Valley Forge pickup games, so to speak. Then I played Phoenixville High School. I tried out, and I played my Freshman Year at Mont Alto [branch campus of PSU]. All freshman foresters spent their first year at Mont Alto. And I tried out my sophomore year, but I didn’t make it. And besides I was waiting on tables and taking care of a furnace, I was working my way through. I really, really didn’t have the time. So I gave up on it. When graduated, they assigned me to Lancaster and the Red Roses, so I gave it a try out there. I was a good field, no hit type of person.
Did you like it though?
Oh yeah! Yeah.
Weren’t you first base?
Well yeah. 126 of us. We had our own team. We played locally. But after I got up to base at the main campus... Eh. There was a fellow by the name of Mel Vonarts and he was big. And a much better player than I was, so it was obvious that he was going to be the first baseman.
Did you play any other sports?
I was 135 pounds for football and I didn’t go very far! I did get a little time kicking field goals. Little bit, but not much. In High School.
No comments:
Post a Comment