Thursday, February 28, 2013

Kenny Gardner, You're Hired!

Friday Nite [ 22 Feb 2013 ]

In our phone call I said that I was going to tell you about my early childhood schooling. Am gonna change my mind. And will tell you more about Kenny Gardner.

It goes back to 1943. I was a CAPT and Kenny a Lieutenant. We were both at Fort Benning, GA awaiting assignment to a unit which was going overseas. Instead we were assigned to an ASTP (Army Student Training Program) where we were to give them three months Basic Training and then we would go overseas.

Kenny and I were in separate (but adjoining) units so we ate in the same Mess Halls (where we eat) and lived in rooms in the same BOQs (Bachelor Officer Quarters). So, after the evening meal we would often gather in the Day Room (informal gathering place with radio, books, etc.) to talk, get acquainted, etc. Kenny and I got talking, became friends, etc. One nite after sitting down in the Day Room Kenny told me about how he wound up in the Guy Lombardo Band.

It seems that he was a Neer-do-well in New York with little or no employment and no future. He got to stopping at a coffee shop and knew a waitress by her first name. One day she said to him "Kenny you are not amounting to anything. You have to get a job!!!" His reply was "What? Me get a job? What can I do?". Her reply was, "Kenny, you can sing". His reply was "So I can sing. So what?" Her reply was "Kenny, THE band is across the street at the Roosevelt Hotel". His question was, "And WHO is this band?" Her reply was "It's Guy Lombardo". His reply was "OK, I'm off".

And so he went across the street and walked into the Roosevelt Hotel where Guy Lombardo and his band were practicing in the ballroom. Lombardo was facing the band. Kenny walked up behind him and tapped him on the should saying "I want a job". Lombardo turned and asked him "What can you do?" Kenny said, "I can sing." The band stopped playing and Lombardo motioned to Kenny that he step up to the microphone. Kenny started the band to play again and he started singing. He sang three songs and stepped away from the microphone. Lombardo stepped forward, shook Kenny's hand and said, "You are hired".

And so started Kenny Gardner's career with the Guy Lombardo Band.

After the way he married Guy Lombardo's sister.

I saw him twice after the war. Once at a big hotel in New York. Another time at the Sunnybrook Ballroom near Pottstown. Between songs we sat on the sideline and talked "old times". He was "down to earth" and we both have much for which to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment